Saturday, March 22, 2014

Ateneo Memories

Note: This was an essay I wrote for the Blue Roast souvenir program. The Blue Roast is a get-together of all graduating college seniors of Ateneo de Manila. This is my own "throwback" in commemoration of our college grad that happened in late March 1993. 
____________

Ateneo AB Communication Batch 1993
I’ll miss the Quad. As freshmen, my friends I would gather at this bench under the big tree. There, Trixie and Penny would stand on the bench and dance the Hawaii Five-O. Triccie would coax Yen and me to accompany her to the noontime mass in the chapel so we could all see a “heavenly sight.” Sometimes, Cynts would bring cards and tell our fortunes. ABelle would be on the lookout while Tania would laugh at how silly we could all be.

Those were the days when we’d sit around and talk, when we’d plan to come to school in dresses the following day.

I’ll miss how the summer leaves would fall from the big trees in the Quad. How I enjoyed to step on the dry, crisp leaves. But I loved to see the leaves fall from the trees; I called that spectacle “snowing leaves” because the leaves were like dancing snowflakes descending to the ground.

I’ll miss the Colayco Hall lobby. The noise. The running. The singing by the Glee Club members and the ACIL barkadas. Here at the Colayco lobby, we planned Philosophy and Theology presentations, devised advertising campaigns and gave birth to a new TV station. I’ll miss the sturdy wooden benches where we napped during breaks. I’ll miss the endearing way Leslie called the entire place the “Lagdameo Lobby.”

I’ll miss life in the orgs. Movie-watching with the young ladies of New Beginnings, cuddling the babies at CRIBS. Hiding from my Research Editors because my articles for The Guidon were late. Talking with Ateneo Archives’ Ditas who was very helpful to me. General Assemblies with meriendas and working for a big project like the National Video Contest. I’ll miss diligent Aegis reps like Annette, Marivic, Paul, Kitten and Bambi.

I’ll miss the Ateneo Rizal Library, particularly the Reference Section. I’ll miss leafing through the old Aegis yearbooks. I’ll miss the comforting hum of the aircon, the whispering of the fellow students who shared the same table with me, and the stern librarians who scolded us when we were a bit noisy. I’ll probably even miss wearing my ID inside the lib.

I’ll miss the conversations that Sandy and I would often have at the lib, of how she’d tell me “Mamaya ka na lang umuwi.” I’d stay and we’d talk more about the things that were important to us.

I’ll miss my favorite teachers.

Like Mrs. Lolly Lacuesta. Through her English classes, I developed an interest in research, a liking for The Beatles, and a passion for self-improvement.

Like Tatay Nim Gonzalez who scared us at the Orientation Seminar by telling us AB Communication freshmen to shift out. But many of us stayed and we discovered that he’s no terror at all.

Like Father Gorospe, S.J. who taught me that real love is paschal in nature: “You must be willing to die to your own selfishness.”

Like Mr. Bobby Guevarra whose passion for social justice is infectious. I am amazed that he remembers the names of his students and I felt guilty whenever he apologized for his “boring” lectures. I will always remember his advice to us to go where we are most needed.

Like Father Nick Cruz, S.J., who taught me to see much more just by watching movies. Like Mark Escaler who inspired me to write long papers for Film Seminar.

And like Dr. Antonette Palma-Angeles who urged me and my classmates in Philosophy to “stop and think.”

I’ll miss the homey atmosphere of the Comm Department. I’ll especially miss MT (Mr. Tony Gallano) who is not only an excellent editor and videographer, but also a great critic and a fine singer.

I’ll miss my friends very much. I won’t see them for a while because we’ll be too busy pursuing our dreams. I’ll miss Kitten’s sweetness, Badje’s knack for finding time to enjoy life (like play tennis) even if life could be hectic. Candy’s patience and Mickey Mouse collection. Manny and Teta and their debates. Tachie’s singing. Penny’s exceptional wit. Sandy’s green apples and interesting stories. Hannah’s support and quiet understanding. Arnie’s updates. Joy’s innocence. JG’s loud laughter. Dong’s good intentions. Leslie and his sandwiches (wrapped in tissue paper and placed inside the plastic of the tasty sandwich bread). Thesis bonding with Maitel, Ebet, Romer and Jam.

I’ll miss Nessa and our conversations at the Bellarmine Bus Stop.

I’ll miss bothering the people at the Department of Student Welfare Services (DSWS) like (Father) Nono, so I could use their typewriter to type my reports and papers.

I’ll miss the masses at the chapel and at the Rizal Mini-Theater.

I’ll miss walking along the path to Gate 3 at 7:00 in the morning. I’ll miss looking up the sky and seeing the morning sun shining through the tree branches.

I’ll miss the sunsets I encounter when I when I head for home.

I’ll miss treading the field across Bellarmine Hall. I hope that the Bellarmine Field will always be open. I hope that a structure will never-ever be built there. I firmly believe that the Ateneo needs open spaces and that the field across Bel deserves to be an open space.  

I’ll miss the comfort and safety of familiar places and things. I’ll yearn for the warmth and company of the people I met at the Ateneo.

I’ll miss all of them. It’s comforting to know that even if we have to move on, the memories will always stay.


No comments:

Post a Comment